Cyclists put in danger
Like Mark Shoobert (Cyclist in push for safer crossing – The Comet January 25), I work in Stevenage and have been cycling through A1(M) Junction 9 daily for over 20 years. With the roadworks complete, I now have a choice of routes home (B197 to Letchworth
Like Mark Shoobert (Cyclist in push for safer crossing - The Comet January 25), I work in Stevenage and have been cycling through A1(M) Junction 9 daily for over 20 years.
With the roadworks complete, I now have a choice of routes home (B197 to Letchworth). I could use the new cycleway and cross six roads, including both A505 carriageways and the two A1(M) slip roads on the north side of the roundabout, but I perceive my personal risk to be lower when cycling through the junction on the road. Indeed I have yet to use the cycleway!
I consider the greatest hazard (potential source of harm) to be the cycle crossing over the westbound A505, as it has been placed where two traffic flows intersect; drivers on the B197 waiting to join the A505 look to their right (away from the crossing) for gaps in the traffic and may not look left towards the crossing only 100 feet away before moving off. Drivers of vehicles on the A505 may be more intent on changing lanes (often very late) to access the new southbound slip-road to notice any cyclists/pedestrians crossing. I strongly recommend that anyone cycling through this junction wears high visibility clothing.
Although Hertfordshire Highways state in your article that "this is the first time that this particular issue has been raised since the road has been open", I made them fully aware of my concerns back in April/June 2006, requesting that the effectiveness of the cycleway/crossings should be reviewed during different periods of the day and at a number of different times during the rush hour. I also suggested that the assessment be carried out by negotiating the cycleway on a bicycle, rather than relying on bystander observation and traffic surveys.
You may also want to watch:
MARTIN MONEY, Lapwing Dell, Letchworth Garden City
- 1 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 2 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 3 Historic family jewellers scoops up industry awards
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 6 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 7 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 8 Letchworth hub will get to the 'heart of community'
- 9 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 10 Sacrifices made as Stevenage defiantly answer their critics at Harrogate Town