Council should splash out
SIR - I was frustrated to learn that the Conservative North Herts District Council has categorically rejected Government money for free swimming for the under-16s and over-60s. This is in stark contrast to neighbouring authorities such as Stevenage and ot
SIR - I was frustrated to learn that the Conservative North Herts District Council has categorically rejected Government money for free swimming for the under-16s and over-60s. This is in stark contrast to neighbouring authorities such as Stevenage and other areas around the country who are working hard to support the initiative for the benefit of their communities.
The scheme, which is backed by £140 million of central government money, is designed to encourage exercise at a time when there are increasing concerns about obesity and the sedentary nature of society. The Conservatives themselves have highlighted the issue. In a speech just this summer David Cameron spoke of "people who eat too much and exercise too little". What's more, according to official NHS statistics published in January this year, 16 per cent of 2 to 15-year-olds and 24 per cent of adults were classified as clinically obese.
So after the great success of Team GB at the Olympics and at a time when we are all inspired to get moving by gold medallists such as Victoria Pendleton, I think the council should think again and make this scheme work.
OLI de BOTTON
You may also want to watch:
Labour parliamentary candidate for Hitchin and Harpenden
- 1 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 2 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says council
- 3 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 4 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 5 Community fieldwalking to uncover Hitchin's Roman ruins hailed 'huge success'
- 6 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 8 Two schools' birthday celebrations can finally go ahead
- 9 Revealed: Stevenage pantomime cast members announced for Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images