Condition on parking
SIR - On a recent trip to Letchworth Town Centre, when I used the Gernon Road multi-storey car park, I noticed an additional term and condition for which you are liable to receive a £50 fine. It states Making payment to extend stay beyond first time purc
SIR - On a recent trip to Letchworth Town Centre, when I used the Gernon Road multi-storey car park, I noticed an additional term and condition for which you are liable to receive a £50 fine. It states 'Making payment to extend stay beyond first time purchase' as a contravention of the parking regulations, so it would appear that if you buy a ticket then later decide that you would like to spend longer in the town, you cannot simply buy an additional ticket. Surely this is counter productive for businesses in the town. I suppose the only way around this would be to move your vehicle to another car park which is somewhat pointless and hardly eco-friendly.
Would someone from North Herts District Council or maybe one of the recently elected councillors (who were but a few weeks ago, busy banging on our doors to gain votes), care to take the time to publicly justify to the local electorate what seems to me, to be another example of increasing revenue into the council's pockets with surreptitious rules designed to hit the motorist.
The Saturday I used the car park, the top three landings were virtually empty, so I doubt that parking availability is a reasonable explanation for this rule. What next will they devise to catch you out, only certain colour cars on certain days of the week?
- 1 Council to build new car park to improve entrance into town
- 2 ATM stolen during ram raid at Baldock store
- 3 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
- 4 Schoolgirl inappropriately touched while walking home
- 5 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 6 10-year-old Ayana makes 'phenomenal' stage debut in The Lion King
- 7 Hitchin Forum: Westward Ho! Stevenage first, North Herts next!
- 8 Latest on Stevenage Marks & Spencer store opening
- 9 MP insists no one in Mid Beds is angry with the PM over partygate
- 10 Vista Tower resident welcomes cladding funds but 'still more to be done'