Competition: Win a steam special in the East Riding
COMET readers love the chance to win a steam trip and this week we are offering a special run.
Steam special The East Riding will stop at Stevenage on Saturday, April 14. Hauled by 61-year-old historic locomotive 70013 Oliver Cromwell, the train is bound to turn heads as it stops to collect passengers for a nostalgic day out.
Heading north for Yorkshire’s East Riding, this steam train with its restored 1950s and 60s vintage carriages will stop at Stevenage at around 09.05.
Magnificent locomotive 70013 Oliver Cromwell is famed for hauling British Railways’ last steam passenger service in 1968. This Britannia class Pacific 4-6-2 was built in 1951.
The East Riding service will steam along the River Humber with fine views of the estuary, passing under the dramatic Humber Bridge, onwards through historic Beverley and into the low chalk hills of the Wolds, now made famous by artist David Hockney.
You may also want to watch:
The train will stop at Scarborough for nearly two hours, offering a chance to explore the seaside resort’s two sandy bays or ruined castle or stroll along its Victorian promenade.
Thanks to The Railway Touring Company we have a pair of premier dining tickets worth �398 for a lucky reader, including full English breakfast and a four course dinner silver served at their seat on board. Enter our competition below and you could have a date with The East Riding.
- 1 Missing Stevenage teen found
- 2 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 3 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs
- 5 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 6 Increase in town centre parking charges 'is no help to beleaguered shops clinging on'
- 7 'People power triumphs' as council agrees to change bulky waste collection fees
- 8 When will outdoor pools be reopening in Letchworth and Hitchin?
- 9 Man arrested in connection with petrol station robbery
- 10 Unannounced safety inspection of care home following COVID-19 outbreak
Standard tickets for The East Riding are �84 per person, first class �129 and premier dining �199. Family and junior tickets are available and there will be a buffet car.
The Railway Touring Company, telephone 01553 661500 www.railwaytouring.co.uk
To be in with a chance of winning our prize pair of tickets for The East Riding on Saturday, April 14, answer the following question:
What is the name of the locomotive that will be pulling The East Riding on April 14?
A – John Major
B – Tony Blair
C – Oliver Cromwell
Text TC TRAIN followed by your answer (A, B or C), and your name and postcode to 80058.
Texts cost �1, plus your standard network rate. Competition closes on Tuesday, March 20 at 12 noon.
Usual promotion rules apply – visit www.thecomet24.co.uk Customer services 0207 633 5020.
The Railway Touring Company’s conditions of booking and travel apply.