Community events lacking
SIR – I have recently come across different cultural festivals. To my amazement our community does very little. In Italy they spend months preparing for their carnivals. I like the fact that the community club together. I have just found out that China ce
SIR - I have recently come across different cultural festivals. To my amazement our community does very little.
In Italy they spend months preparing for their carnivals. I like the fact that the community club together. I have just found out that China celebrate their new year on different dates every year. Also a lot of preparation goes into the costumes and traditions. For example, little goodie bags are given to the children.
I have had an idea, could we unite all our schools to have one float each for our carnival? It would not only encourage our pupils to get involved, but also parents to come and spectate.
Although we have football, there is not really much else for our children's memories. Parents have become more distant from their children. Children seem to spend too much time in front of computers and televisions.
You may also want to watch:
I hope this idea of mine would help the public think more about having an interest in our local community and festivals. I would be interested to hear what other people think.
MS HELEN CHURCH
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 6 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 7 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 8 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 9 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 10 Parents' tribute to caring community as they continue push for new specialist facilities