Community events lacking
SIR – I have recently come across different cultural festivals. To my amazement our community does very little. In Italy they spend months preparing for their carnivals. I like the fact that the community club together. I have just found out that China ce
SIR - I have recently come across different cultural festivals. To my amazement our community does very little.
In Italy they spend months preparing for their carnivals. I like the fact that the community club together. I have just found out that China celebrate their new year on different dates every year. Also a lot of preparation goes into the costumes and traditions. For example, little goodie bags are given to the children.
I have had an idea, could we unite all our schools to have one float each for our carnival? It would not only encourage our pupils to get involved, but also parents to come and spectate.
Although we have football, there is not really much else for our children's memories. Parents have become more distant from their children. Children seem to spend too much time in front of computers and televisions.
I hope this idea of mine would help the public think more about having an interest in our local community and festivals. I would be interested to hear what other people think.
MS HELEN CHURCH
- 1 Emergency services called to medical episode at Stevenage Cineworld
- 2 Meet Izabela: The inspiring Stevenage baker with MS
- 3 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 4 Letchworth pond tested and fish removed after animals found dead
- 5 Council plea fails to stop Stevenage Charter Fair goldfish prizes
- 6 Multiple homes burgled in Letchworth
- 7 October 1 strikes: A complete guide to trains in Hertfordshire
- 8 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 9 Felled weeping willow to be replaced in Hitchin churchyard
- 10 Stevenage Railway Station: Normal train service resumes after major repairs