Community events lacking
SIR – I have recently come across different cultural festivals. To my amazement our community does very little. In Italy they spend months preparing for their carnivals. I like the fact that the community club together. I have just found out that China ce
SIR - I have recently come across different cultural festivals. To my amazement our community does very little.
In Italy they spend months preparing for their carnivals. I like the fact that the community club together. I have just found out that China celebrate their new year on different dates every year. Also a lot of preparation goes into the costumes and traditions. For example, little goodie bags are given to the children.
I have had an idea, could we unite all our schools to have one float each for our carnival? It would not only encourage our pupils to get involved, but also parents to come and spectate.
Although we have football, there is not really much else for our children's memories. Parents have become more distant from their children. Children seem to spend too much time in front of computers and televisions.
I hope this idea of mine would help the public think more about having an interest in our local community and festivals. I would be interested to hear what other people think.
MS HELEN CHURCH
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 5 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 6 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 7 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 8 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event