Common is very important
SIR – Further to Cllr Michael Weeks response to a letter from Mrs Louise Keeble (Comet Letters) we felt compelled to respond. Contrary to being a small insignificant piece of unkempt land this field is, in fact, a very important area for social gatherin
SIR - Further to Cllr Michael Weeks response to a letter from Mrs Louise Keeble (Comet Letters) we felt compelled to respond.
Contrary to being a 'small insignificant piece of unkempt land' this field is, in fact, a very important area for social gatherings, recreation and light sport activities. The land is common, so in its very nature is 'unkempt' although NHDC mow it at least twice yearly. Also, over the years many varieties of wild flowers have appeared, which attract bees, butterflies and other insects, as well as being a habitat for the likes of hedgehogs and the common lizard, now protected.
It is with reference to these parallels that we believe Mrs Keeble was drawing comparisons, as well as noting that this field is outside of central Baldock, as is Norton Common for Letchworth. The Baldock Town Centre Strategy document states that Baldock Town is short of Green Open Space, citing St Mary's Church Yard and Tesco Memorial Gardens as the main green space for Baldock Town! We aim to retain all we can for the Town as a whole.
We also note that Cllr Weeks mentions that NHDC would like to 'protect' this asset in opposing our Village Green Application. We would ask, in what way is turning this land over for development protecting this asset?
You may also want to watch:
Since its inception in 1974 NHDC has gradually sold off land pockets until soon there will be nothing left to sell. What then? Compulsory purchase of our back gardens and the greensward amenity land that according to our Local Councillors we should be thankful for!
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 5 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
For and on behalf of S.O.G.S.