Cold shoulder to protests
SIR - How much longer will the furore over the Letchworth Gate A1(M) junction rumble on? Yes, it is not a very nicely planned junction, but it is really not that bad. If the drivers complaining about it find it hard to turn their head to the side to look
SIR - How much longer will the furore over the Letchworth Gate A1(M) junction rumble on?
Yes, it is not a very nicely planned junction, but it is really not that bad. If the drivers complaining about it find it hard to turn their head to the side to look towards the roundabout for oncoming traffic, what on earth do they do when changing lanes?
Do they not bother with shoulder checks into blind spots, and simply rely on their wing mirrors? I suspect I know the answer to that!
As a motorcyclist, I am conditioned to perform 'life-saver' shoulder checks, but I fail to see how simply looking to the right to spot oncoming traffic is quite so hard, or even out of the ordinary.
It would be nice if the junction could be altered, perhaps widening the road for a short stretch to allow a proper slip-lane for traffic to merge, but even as it is, with a quick shoulder check it's hardly a death-defying danger spot.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 8 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 9 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 10 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
SIR - With regards to the badly designed accident prone junction off the A1 at Letchworth, surely by far the easiest and most effective choice would be to put in a roundabout at the Willian junction and make a dual carriageway between the new roundabout and the A1 in both directions. This would be much cheaper than making a dual carriageway the whole length of Letchworth Gate. It would save the open green aspect leading in to Letchworth Garden City especially now the planting of Letchworth Gate has finally matured. It would also enable vehicles from Willian to join the A1 or go towards Baldock without the long detour all the way round the longabout and back.
Letchworth Garden City