Cold shoulder to protests
SIR - How much longer will the furore over the Letchworth Gate A1(M) junction rumble on? Yes, it is not a very nicely planned junction, but it is really not that bad. If the drivers complaining about it find it hard to turn their head to the side to look
SIR - How much longer will the furore over the Letchworth Gate A1(M) junction rumble on?
Yes, it is not a very nicely planned junction, but it is really not that bad. If the drivers complaining about it find it hard to turn their head to the side to look towards the roundabout for oncoming traffic, what on earth do they do when changing lanes?
Do they not bother with shoulder checks into blind spots, and simply rely on their wing mirrors? I suspect I know the answer to that!
As a motorcyclist, I am conditioned to perform 'life-saver' shoulder checks, but I fail to see how simply looking to the right to spot oncoming traffic is quite so hard, or even out of the ordinary.
You may also want to watch:
It would be nice if the junction could be altered, perhaps widening the road for a short stretch to allow a proper slip-lane for traffic to merge, but even as it is, with a quick shoulder check it's hardly a death-defying danger spot.
- 1 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 5 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 6 What you need to know about the changing divorce laws
- 7 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Darcie's Wish fundraising back on track after 18 months
- 10 Woman suffers cuts and bruises in pub glassing
SIR - With regards to the badly designed accident prone junction off the A1 at Letchworth, surely by far the easiest and most effective choice would be to put in a roundabout at the Willian junction and make a dual carriageway between the new roundabout and the A1 in both directions. This would be much cheaper than making a dual carriageway the whole length of Letchworth Gate. It would save the open green aspect leading in to Letchworth Garden City especially now the planting of Letchworth Gate has finally matured. It would also enable vehicles from Willian to join the A1 or go towards Baldock without the long detour all the way round the longabout and back.
Letchworth Garden City