Cold shoulder to protests
SIR - How much longer will the furore over the Letchworth Gate A1(M) junction rumble on? Yes, it is not a very nicely planned junction, but it is really not that bad. If the drivers complaining about it find it hard to turn their head to the side to look
SIR - How much longer will the furore over the Letchworth Gate A1(M) junction rumble on?
Yes, it is not a very nicely planned junction, but it is really not that bad. If the drivers complaining about it find it hard to turn their head to the side to look towards the roundabout for oncoming traffic, what on earth do they do when changing lanes?
Do they not bother with shoulder checks into blind spots, and simply rely on their wing mirrors? I suspect I know the answer to that!
As a motorcyclist, I am conditioned to perform 'life-saver' shoulder checks, but I fail to see how simply looking to the right to spot oncoming traffic is quite so hard, or even out of the ordinary.
You may also want to watch:
It would be nice if the junction could be altered, perhaps widening the road for a short stretch to allow a proper slip-lane for traffic to merge, but even as it is, with a quick shoulder check it's hardly a death-defying danger spot.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 7 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
SIR - With regards to the badly designed accident prone junction off the A1 at Letchworth, surely by far the easiest and most effective choice would be to put in a roundabout at the Willian junction and make a dual carriageway between the new roundabout and the A1 in both directions. This would be much cheaper than making a dual carriageway the whole length of Letchworth Gate. It would save the open green aspect leading in to Letchworth Garden City especially now the planting of Letchworth Gate has finally matured. It would also enable vehicles from Willian to join the A1 or go towards Baldock without the long detour all the way round the longabout and back.
Letchworth Garden City