Re car clamping. My wife and I returned to the UK early last Sunday morning after a spell overseas. Our daughter collected us from the airport and we went to have lunch in the centre of Letchworth. Unable to park in Leys Avenue we decided to seek an alter
Re car clamping.
My wife and I returned to the UK early last Sunday morning after a spell overseas. Our daughter collected us from the airport and we went to have lunch in the centre of Letchworth. Unable to park in Leys Avenue we decided to seek an alternative behind the Arcade and ventured into Openshaw Way. We parked on an open space near an office called the Fenner Building and were gone for an hour.
On our return we found that our vehicle had been clamped along with the only other vehicle in the whole area. The clampers were there and demanded £205.62 to release the clamp having forced the other hapless driver to pay the same amount. The aggressive clamping operatives stated that the owners of the Fenner Building insist that they clamp cars night and day, seven days a week!
Before owners of private car parks can act in this manner they are obliged to display such penalties in a prominent manner. The Fenner Building has two tiny signs high on the wall which certainly do not fall into this category.
You may also want to watch:
Had the warning notice been obvious, we would not have parked there. Had the penalty been of the order of £75 we would have paid with good grace, but £205 is extortion and your readers should be aware of the Fenner Building.
We are not impressed with our welcome back to Letchworth Garden City. Clearly the owners of the Fenner Building are seeking to improve their profit margin with this outrageous fee rather than allow visitors to Letchworth enjoy a quiet Sunday lunch.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 5 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 6 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 8 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 9 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
NAME AND ADDRESS SUPPLIED