Care given to all patients
SIR - In The Comet, Jackie Nelson s letter relayed her experiences in our emergency department here at the Lister (Drunks at Hospital, March 20). I would like to reassure her and your readers that all cases are seen in order of severity and that Ms Nelson
SIR - In The Comet, Jackie Nelson's letter relayed her experiences in our emergency department here at the Lister (Drunks at Hospital, March 20). I would like to reassure her and your readers that all cases are seen in order of severity and that Ms Nelson's son was not singled out to wait, whilst other drunk patients were seen.
We provide a service that does not discriminate. Despite some of our patients being clearly inebriated, we are still obliged - and rightly so - to treat them. This group of patients can, and often do, have equally serious conditions, which warrant prompt assessment and care.
We have worked very hard to reduce waiting times at the Lister's emergency department. While I am sorry that Ms Nelson was unhappy with our service, it may interest your readers to know that her son was seen, assessed and discharged within 90 minutes by a senior doctor on a Saturday night - which after all is one of the busiest and most challenging times for any A&E service.
Dr JON BAKER
You may also want to watch:
A&E consultant and
deputy clinical director
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 8 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 9 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
East and North Hertfordshire