Bring on the bulldozers
I feel Hannah Gray misses the point in her article about world cup football verses councillors/politicians (Last Word, The Comet, May 4). I believe that the reason most people have the English flag attached to their cars is because they have a sense of pa
I feel Hannah Gray misses the point in her article about world cup football verses councillors/politicians (Last Word, The Comet, May 4).
I believe that the reason most people have the English flag attached to their cars is because they have a sense of passion and national pride in the England football team.
My own favourite football team is Newcastle United, and my passion for this club has seen me drive the 500 mile round trip to Newcastle and back just to see an evening game, something Hannah Gray would not contemplate through lack of pride and passion.
She also states football will always get people's attention in a way politics seemingly never will. You only have to look back over the last few weeks to understand why. The Deputy Prime Minister all over his secretary. The Health Minister, who must have taken a year out on another planet, stating the National Health Service has been performing the best ever during the past year - try telling that to the hard working staff at the Lister Hospital. Lastly the Home Secretary trying to dig himself out of a huge gaff after letting loose criminals to again commit serious criminal offences, and then not having the bottle to resign, but to receive the sack from his job. These people are supposedly leading our country and making vital decisions about our country. Because of their inefficiencies people will not have faith and especially passion about politics.
You may also want to watch:
You show me a competent government of any national party who we can have faith in and I will put my England flag up on my car for them.
And before you ask I did walk down to my local polling station to register my vote last week.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 5 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Do you recognise these people?
- 9 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village
- 10 Have your say on parking restriction plans
DAVID RENNEY, Bearton Green, Hitchin
* I am glad Mr Prescott has gone from the Environment Department.
He seemed more interested in the curves of his mistresses than the hills of Hertfordshire.
A J HOLLIS, Ordelmere, Letchworth Garden City