Batting for wildlife
SIR – I am extremely concerned at the detrimental impact the construction of wind turbines on the land adjacent to High Elms Lane, Benington could have on wildlife. It is well known locally that this site supports a large and varied wildlife and many of t
SIR - I am extremely concerned at the detrimental impact the construction of wind turbines on the land adjacent to High Elms Lane, Benington could have on wildlife.
It is well known locally that this site supports a large and varied wildlife and many of the species are of national and international importance.
It has taken a long time and sympathetic farming to encourage so many species to thrive in this area. A total of 26 mammal species (not counting bats) and 75 bird species have been recorded around the proposed wind farm, along with various amphibians and reptiles.
I have particular concern for the local bat population as it has been documented that out of the 12 species of bats found in Hertfordshire at least eight have been recorded at Benington Lordship alone.
You may also want to watch:
One of these is the Nathusius pipistrelle, which is very rare, and wind turbine casualties have been recorded in Europe for this bat. Another rare bat, the Serotine has been recorded at Benington Lordship, Frogmore Farm, and Watton-at-Stone, with roosts recorded at Watton and Frogmore Farm. This bat forages within two and 6km of roosts and it is believed to be at high risk of collision with turbines.
The Whiskered bat is another very rare bat and has been recorded at Watton. Lastly I would like to mention Leisler's bat which has been recorded at Benington Lordship and Watton. This is a rare bat for which wind turbine casualties have been recorded.
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 5 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Weather warning for rain on the horizon after scorching heatwave
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
European recommendations are to locate wind farms in areas where any damage to wildlife will be minimal. This area is absolutely teeming with wildlife and any possible destruction should be avoided at all costs.