Baldock has been let down
I ve written many times in these pages criticising North Hertfordshire District Council s handling of a variety of public assets, such as Hitchin Town Hall, and I ve come in for plenty of criticism; from heated phone calls to late-night email rants from c
I've written many times in these pages criticising North Hertfordshire District Council's handling of a variety of public assets, such as Hitchin Town Hall, and I've come in for plenty of criticism; from heated phone calls to late-night email rants from councillors.
But just as the council seems to have got to grips with Hitchin's hall and is pushing for a solution welcomed by Hitchin's residents (it is working with Hitchin Town Centre Initiative in a bid to secure outside funding for refurbishment) it seems to have made a boob over in Baldock.
The council has closed down the main room in Baldock Town Hall because the building has failed a host of fire safety checks and won't reopen until these problems (which include the need to install a fire detection alarm system in the building and the replacement of fire doors) have been addressed.
I have plenty to say on the matter but instead I shall leave it in the capable hands of Baldock councillors Marilyn Kirkland and Michael Weeks. Cllr Kirkland said the council has "neglected Baldock town hall over the years" and Cllr Weeks has asked "how long have users been at risk?"
You may also want to watch:
The council has a lot to answer for.
- 1 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 2 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says council
- 3 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 4 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 5 Community fieldwalking to uncover Hitchin's Roman ruins hailed 'huge success'
- 6 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 7 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 8 Two schools' birthday celebrations can finally go ahead
- 9 Revealed: Stevenage pantomime cast members announced for Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images