Baldock has been let down
I ve written many times in these pages criticising North Hertfordshire District Council s handling of a variety of public assets, such as Hitchin Town Hall, and I ve come in for plenty of criticism; from heated phone calls to late-night email rants from c
I've written many times in these pages criticising North Hertfordshire District Council's handling of a variety of public assets, such as Hitchin Town Hall, and I've come in for plenty of criticism; from heated phone calls to late-night email rants from councillors.
But just as the council seems to have got to grips with Hitchin's hall and is pushing for a solution welcomed by Hitchin's residents (it is working with Hitchin Town Centre Initiative in a bid to secure outside funding for refurbishment) it seems to have made a boob over in Baldock.
The council has closed down the main room in Baldock Town Hall because the building has failed a host of fire safety checks and won't reopen until these problems (which include the need to install a fire detection alarm system in the building and the replacement of fire doors) have been addressed.
I have plenty to say on the matter but instead I shall leave it in the capable hands of Baldock councillors Marilyn Kirkland and Michael Weeks. Cllr Kirkland said the council has "neglected Baldock town hall over the years" and Cllr Weeks has asked "how long have users been at risk?"
You may also want to watch:
The council has a lot to answer for.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 3 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 4 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 5 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 6 'COVID can't stop us!' - Zimbabwe school fees raised with garden party after Stevenage Day cancelled
- 7 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 8 National charity challenge for Samaritans makes its way through Hitchin
- 9 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 10 H-Town Almost Unlocked to celebrate 'eclectic mix' of Hitchin retailers