Backing the 42 days
SIR - The Government s proposal to detain terror suspects without charge for up to 42 days is a step in the right direction in the fight against terrorism, which is a clear and present danger in this country. Under the circumstances, when public security
SIR - The Government's proposal to detain terror suspects without charge for up to 42 days is a step in the right direction in the fight against terrorism, which is a clear and present danger in this country.
Under the circumstances, when public security is at risk, it is a very sensible measure. As terrorist plots are getting more sophisticated and police need more time to compile evidence to charge a person, 28 days is not enough any more and 42 days will be there to ensure that dangerous terrorists are not released. The public safety should be paramount to all this civil liberties nonsense talk.
I hope this Government will have enough sense and guts to stand up to this evil.
Mrs N ROWE
You may also want to watch:
SIR - I disagree with Louise, it is people like Louise who let these people get away with this terror act. She says that they are targeting one community, well these people should not get involved in these acts and when these people are found guilty in courts, they should be deported if they were not born here.
- 1 Missing veteran John Dick found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 2 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 3 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Custodial sentence 'sends strong message' to those carrying knives
- 6 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 7 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 8 One-of-a-kind children's book shop opening in town centre
- 9 Hitchin Beer and Cider Festival in pictures
- 10 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
The Government have given our country away, thank God I am on my way out, I do not wish to be in this country in 20 years time to be run by other countries. If I wanted to live in another country, I would not get money and housing allowances, free NHS and doctors. What we need is a Winston Churchill, he would never have let this happen. Our MP should be ashamed of herself.
Mrs ANN SMITH