Article highlighted maligned condition
Thank you for highlighting the issue of depression in your article about Pauline Rhodes valuable book Double Trouble. Depression is a much maligned and belittled condition. It is also far more widespread than people imagine with up to one in five of the
Thank you for highlighting the issue of depression in your article about Pauline Rhodes' valuable book Double Trouble.
Depression is a much maligned and belittled condition. It is also far more widespread than people imagine with up to one in five of the population suffering from it during their lifetimes. Pauline is so right when she demands 'Why should people suffering from mental illness be subjected to such stigma, fear and degradation when those with cancer receive the very best?' Articles like yours will help to lift the stigma and the ignorance associated with it.
May I, however, respectfully correct two errors in your article? The first is that National Depression Week is now Depression Awareness Week. The other is that it is run by Depression Alliance and not MIND or Rethink (as your article might seem to imply). We have been running this campaign alone for many years now and it is an integral part of our work.
We are Britain's leading charity working specifically in this field and are always happy to try and help those who come to us. If any reader would like to know more about depression or about us they may ring our answerphone on 0845 123 2320 and they can be sent an information pack. Alternatively they can write to us at Suite 212, Spitfire Studios,
63 - 71 Collier St, London N1 9BE.
PAUL LANHAM, Vice-President, Depression Alliance, Alexander Road, Clifton
- 1 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 2 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 3 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 4 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 5 Airbus: Stevenage's out of this world impact on space missions over seven decades
- 6 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 7 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 8 A brief history of Fairfield: One of Bedfordshire's newest towns
- 9 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 10 Our Bedfordshire villages: 'Rural reporting has been my greatest pleasure'