A standstill in Standhill
SIR -With reference to the parking problems in Standhill Road and Cemetery Road in Hitchin, I have on many occasions in the last three years complained both to the police and to the District Council about this problem and the distinct impression that no-o
SIR -With reference to the parking problems in Standhill Road and Cemetery Road in Hitchin, I have on many occasions in the last three years complained both to the police and to the District Council about this problem and the distinct impression that no-one is interested or concerned.
As your correspondent last week said about access to Highbury School, it concerns me greatly that should the emergency vehicles be needed, they would be unable to get there quickly.
Also Cemetery Road needs to be available for those wishing to go to the cemetery either for a funeral service or to visit loved ones' graves.
Over the past two months, I have kept a record of the number of cars parking on these roads, in Cemetery Road the number varies from 12 to 23, and in the upper part of Standhill Road, from two to 12. I would also like to point out that Cemetery Road is used by people walking their dogs, mothers with children in buggies and those going shopping with trollies.
There is no footpath in this road, so one is forced to walk in the middle of the road in the face of oncoming traffic as well as traffic coming up behind. This problem has got considerably worse over the last 12 months and still nothing is done.
Miss P SADLER
- 1 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 2 Molly-Mae Hague announces pregnancy in adorable Instagram video
- 3 Multiple homes burgled in Letchworth
- 4 Letchworth pond tested and fish removed after animals found dead
- 5 Stevenage Railway Station: Normal train service resumes after major repairs
- 6 Chocolates sold at Tesco stores recalled after health risk discovered
- 7 Baby Asian elephant calf named 'Queen' at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- 8 100 Herts police officers to carry nasal spray to prevent drug deaths
- 9 Two arrests made in connection with Stevenage brawl
- 10 Meteor shower known for bright fireballs begins tonight
SIR - I absolutely agree with comments made by Deborah Pollard (Comet, July 10) regarding the inconsiderate drivers who park on Standhill Road.
My husband and I are OAP's and unable to walk any distance, I am a blue invalid badge holder. We like to visit in Hitchin cemeteries, but for several weeks we have been unable to park near the gates.
On one occasion a car was parked in front of the gates. Something should be done to stop this inconsiderate parking.