A sad sign of the times
SIR – As a town centre resident, I would like to thank the persons responsible for the new signs in grounds of St Mary s Church, stating quiet please respect this area as a place of peace. I just hope and pray that those responsible for the need for such
SIR - As a town centre resident, I would like to thank the persons responsible for the new signs in grounds of St Mary's Church, stating quiet please respect this area as a place of peace.
I just hope and pray that those responsible for the need for such signs will actually read them and begin respecting this area. And let us also hope that they start to use the nearby litter bins to put their empty bottles and rubbish in (or take it home, instead of just leaving it behind for someone else to clean up).
Now that the repair work has started on St Mary's, it is perhaps a good time to remind everyone that this area is consecrated land. Not only is this area a Place of Peace, it is the final resting place for many.
If the church can, perhaps it should consider replacing the damaged benches (near Church House) and adding some additional ones, to discourage people from sitting on the gravestones.
You may also want to watch:
Whilst the churchyard area is a beautiful place to visit, it is not a public park. If there are insufficient areas in the town centre for the skateboarders, cyclists and the like to hang around in, then the council should seriously consider providing adequate facilities for the town centre young people.
Let us hope that the various forms of anti social behaviour, which have sadly blighted this very spiritual area of the town centre, are soon stopped.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
M M FIELD