A plan needed for loos
Regarding Giles Woodruff s comments about loos in Bancroft Park (Comet June 22). Yes there are toilets in the park buildings. They were built there when access to the car park in Bancroft was changed a few years back when Sainsbury s store was built. Ther
Regarding Giles Woodruff's comments about loos in Bancroft Park (Comet June 22).
Yes there are toilets in the park buildings. They were built there when access to the car park in Bancroft was changed a few years back when Sainsbury's store was built. There is a disabled persons toilet and baby changing facilities. This was all part of new facilities provided for the park attendant staff who maintained the Park and collected monies for use of Park amenities - tennis, putting and bowling. This was provided when their existing facilities were demolished for car park access. These toilet facilities were supposed to be an addition to the facilities of the park.
However no sooner was all of that built than NHDC discontinued the posts of park attendants. So now the tennis courts are a free for all, the putting has disappeared, the bowling facilities are leased to Hitchin Town Bowls Club and the park maintenance is out to contract.
So the disabled toilet and the baby changing facilities are normally now locked - what a waste of money, what a loss of amenities!
You may also want to watch:
Members of Hitchin Bowls Club are frequently asked by mothers of small children if they may use the facilities in the Bowls Pavilion itself as they are obviously horrified at taking small children into the facilities provided adjacent to the main road as pictured in The Comet June 22. There has of late been an abuse of vehicles driving into and around Bancroft Park, the solution from NHDC has been to install a gate which is locked and provide access only to authorised persons. We have a park with bowling facilities that were put there in the 1930's before the advent of the motor car. A community centre in the middle of the park erected mid century by NHDC without thought for car users and a tennis club at the far side of the Park without proper vehicle access allowed by NHDC in the 1980s.
NHDC need to realise that people who use the park facilities nowadays have cars and proper provision for parking needs to be made. NHDC over the years have excused themselves from properly providing facilities for the people of our town and their excuse over parking in Bancroft Park is that people using that park can use the very expensive adjacent NHDC public car park. This is not on - if people lease or hire facilities then they expect to be able to park there.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 8 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 9 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
Let us get our park how it should be for the 21st Century - and by the way can we have our park railings back that were taken away in 1939 for the war effort ?
KEN PORTER, Wellingham Avenue, Hitchin