Dorchester 2-1 Biggleswade Town: Waders boss Chris Nunn says ‘poor’ referee cost us the match

PUBLISHED: 16:02 06 November 2017 | UPDATED: 16:05 06 November 2017

Biggleswade Town boss Chris Nunn

Biggleswade Town boss Chris Nunn


Biggleswade Town boss Chris Nunn slammed poor refereeing in the Waders away defeat to Dorchester Town on Saturday.

Nunn’s side conceded deep into injury time to a Sam Lanahan header, just moments after referee Ian Parsons had denied the Waders a penalty at the other end.

The result means it’s now six games without a league win, as they drop further down the Evo-Stik Southern Premier League following their impressive early season form.

Speaking to CometSport, Nunn said: “I was happy with the performance and I thought we deserved to win, but it was the referee that cost us, simple as that.

“He couldn’t even do the coin toss. My player called heads, it landed on heads, but the referee said Dorchester had won the kick-off. He said he’d got confused. It’s so poor.”

The home side took the lead in the 43rd minute when Callum Rose powered a header into the far post from Aaron Rodriguez’s corner.

It took until 78 minutes for Tony Burnett to level with a goal on the counter attack, latching on to Liam Brooks’ through ball and calmly slotting in at the keeper Chris Weale’s near post for 1-1.

Substitute Lanahan’s late goal stole a 2-1 win for the Magpies, rising above the Waders’ scrambling defenders to meet Tom Blair’s cross and knocking it low into the near post, past keeper Liam Gooch.

Speaking about on the late drama, Nunn said: “We were through on goal with just the keeper to beat and were fouled. It should have been a penalty but within a minute Dorchester scored.

“It was poor defending to allow them to score the second goal but we shouldn’t have been in that position. I tried to show the referee the stud marks and blood on my player’s ankle but the referee was poor.”

Waders captain Craig Daniels came off injury after five minutes, adding to Nunn’s injury woes: “We’re struggling to get a settled side on the pitch at the moment, but the boys are working hard and it was our best performance for a few games

“Maybe we were a bit inexperienced and threw too many men forward but we were trying to win the game and I’d never change that. If we lose a game trying to win then so be it. In the second half we were camped in their half and it was just backs to the wall for them.”

Nunn was impressed by an “outstanding” debut from new signing Liam Brooks, who joined the team from Hitchin Town this month.

“There were positives for sure, but we feel we’re taking a step forward but being forced to take two back. It’s just frustrating.

Biggleswade Town host Cambridge City in the The Challenge Cup on Tuesday night, a game Nunn plans to make changes for: “It’s not a priority, we want to do well in the competition but we’ll have to make seven or eight changes because we haven’t got the squad depth.”

More news stories

A Baldock-based funeral home has organised a charity drive encouraging people to donate pre-loved teddy bears for vulnerable children across the UK.

Yesterday, 16:55

Hitchin hockey players ran a 10km charity race in London to support a teammate who is battling cancer.

Yesterday, 13:37

A man in his 80s is in hospital after being involved in a collision with a car this morning.

Yesterday, 12:02

A Stevenage woman who has changed the lives of 17 children over the last five years has been nominated in this year’s Comet Community Awards.

Most read stories


Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the The Comet e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter