May 20 2013 Latest news:
By Laura Burge
Friday, March 16, 2012
THE Comet’s campaign has attracted emails, texts, and letters from readers and other interested parties, offering their support.
But we want those who haven’t yet had a chance to respond to our campaign or the public consultation to make sure they are informed.
The main concerns we’ve heard from people so far on the Luton Airport expansion are:
• Noise levels: Many people are worried that the increase in flights will make noise unbearable.
• Night flights: An increase in passengers could mean more night flights, and in turn, disturbance to residents when trying to sleep.
• Congestion: There are fears that extra flights will generate extra traffic on the roads, including the A505, which aren’t built for it.
• Environment: There are concerns over what impact the extra flights will have on the environment.
• Further expansion: People are concerned that doubling capacity will pave the way to expand the airport further, possibly imposing on land to the east of Luton, and over into the Hertfordshire border.
• Employment: London Luton Airport Ltd (LLAL) has said that the expansion will create 6,000 jobs, but this has been disputed by groups, who say it is “over inflated”, with the real figure closer to 1,000.
We want to know what Comet country thinks, so please keep telling us your views on the proposed expansion. But also make sure that you have your say in the public consultation too - you have just over a week to do so.
Email the Comet at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a letter to The Comet Newspaper, Bank House, Primett Road, Stevenage, SG1 3EE. You can also text TC VIEWS, followed by your comment, name and postcode, to 80058.
Take part in the consultation by visiting www.future-LuToN.co.uk, calling 08442 250003 or sending comments to RSUB-UEZB-SYXK, GL Hearn, 20 Soho Square, London W1D 3QW.
• Click on the link in the top right-hand corner to view more stories on our campaign.