May 22 2013 Latest news:
Saturday, March 10, 2012
THREE people have been recognised for the good work they do for their community in Stotfold Town Council’s Citizens’ Awards.
This is the second year the awards have been held and, after being nominated by members of the public, Bill Cutler, Frances Huckle and Christine Webster were presented with certificates at the council’s annual town meeting on Thursday.
Frances was recognised for her work with the cubs and brownies, as well as the Royal British Legion, particularly the annual Poppy Appeal.
Latterly, she became involved in the restoration of Stotfold Mill and became actively involved in the environmental work of Teasel - The Astwick and Stotfold Environmental Link - which has included encouraging youngsters to become interested in nature.
Frances is also known for visiting sick and housebound residents, and Stotfold mayor Brian Collier called her “a valued member of our community”.
Christine has been involved in numerous groups and organisations in Stotfold. “In fact, is there a group that hasn’t been helped in some way by Christine?” asked Cllr Collier.
“She helps, fundraises for, and supports the scouts, St Mary’s School, the Friends of St Mary’s, Etonbury School, Roecroft School, Stotfold Mill, the local churches of every denomination, the Trefoil Guild and the Stotfold Festival.
“There is hardly an event in Stotfold where she isn’t either manning the tea hatch, selling raffle tickets or organising a rummage sale.”
Christine also provides lifts for the elderly or ill, taking them to doctor or hospital appointments.
Born and bred in Stotfold, Bill has raised funds for the Stotfold Army Cadet Force’s drum and bugle band by organising dances and whist drives.
He has also been called upon by various Stotfold organisations as a bingo caller for their fundraising events.
He is the former chairman of the Supporters’ Association of the 1st Stotfold Scout Group, and was an executive committee member for the Fairfield Hospital Sports and Social Club.
Bill also once rescued a baby from a house fire in Hyde Avenue, Stotfold.