Potton housing proposal rejection upheld following developer’s appeal

PUBLISHED: 17:01 20 October 2018

A plan of the rejected Sutton Road development. Picture: Hollins Strategic Land

A plan of the rejected Sutton Road development. Picture: Hollins Strategic Land

Archant

There is delight in Potton after a developer’s appeal against a rejected plan for new homes in the town was dismissed.

There was delight in Potton last week as a developers appeal against a rejected plan for new homes in the town was dismissed.

Hollins Strategic Homes appealed against the rejection of their plan – made in June last year – for 80 new homes in Sutton Road before the Planning Inspectorate.

Following that appeal at Central Bedfordshire Council’s Chicksands offices in July, inspector Melvyn Middleton decided to dismiss it last Wednesday, agreeing with the original decision.

He said the proposal “would not achieve an accessible neighbourhood or promote sustainable travel patterns” and it would “not protect or enhance the character and appearance of the local countryside.”

Independent Potton councillor Adam Zerny attended the appeal and was glad to see the original decision upheld.

“I am delighted with this result which is exactly what local residents deserved after they worked so hard to fight this inappropriate development,” he said.

The developer also submitted a similar plan in June this year, which was again rejected.

CBC was opposed to the development as it was in open countryside, would be isolated and cause harm to the character of the area.

Mr Middleton also noted that the council demonstrated a five year supply of housing land and the relevant policies were not out of date, something which is a government requirement.

This pleased CBC, with a spokeswoman saying: “We are delighted to see that our decision and reasons to reject this planning application has been upheld by the planning inspector, and that yet another inspector has identified that we as a council can demonstrate a five-year supply of housing land.”

There have been a number of housing development plans rejected or withdrawn this year, including the proposal of 170 new dwellings in Sandy Road.

Members of the We Love Potton Facebook group were delighted to see the appeal turned down.

One user wrote: “Hopefully it will be some sort of precedent for future development proposals in similar areas that can be turned down for similar reasons,” while another praised Mr Zerny saying: “Excellent result, and special thanks to Adam Zerny for his tireless efforts.”

More news stories

Yesterday, 17:48

The kiosk at Howard Park in Letchworth has been vandalised for the second time in two weeks, with an appeal for witnesses to come forward launched today.

Yesterday, 16:19

Hundreds gathered in Biggleswade, Sandy and Potton for Remembrance Sunday services – which also marked 100 years since the First World War Armistice.

Yesterday, 15:21

Burglars made off with gardening equipment after breaking into an industrial unit in Baldock on Halloween.

Yesterday, 13:11

Hertfordshire’s roads will benefit from an extra £7.9million government ‘pothole pot’ for repairs across the county.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the The Comet e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

The Comet weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy