Crews tackle Hitchin house fire and rescue dog
PUBLISHED: 09:51 12 June 2018 | UPDATED: 11:05 12 June 2018
Firefighters tackled a house fire in Hitchin this morning, and rescused a dog from the blaze.
Emergency crews were called to the blaze at a semi-detached house in Westwood Avenue at 8.41am. They found the two-storey home’s kitchen well alight.
Firefighters used breathing apparatus, a hosereel and a covering jet and had the fire out by 9.01am – with a dog rescued from inside the house.
A fire service spokeswoman said two crews from Stevenage and one from Hitchin were still in attendance at 9.30am, and that there were no reports of injuries.
A spokesman for the ambulance service said paramedics attended the scene in an ambulance and treated a man aged in his 70s for suspected smoke inhalation. He was taken to Stevenage’s Lister Hospital for further care.