Letchworth mum’s warning to others after storage heater falls on toddler

PUBLISHED: 12:22 09 August 2018

Helen Crook was left shocked when a storage heater came off of its hinges and landed on her toddler. Picture: Helen Crook

Helen Crook was left shocked when a storage heater came off of its hinges and landed on her toddler. Picture: Helen Crook

Archant

A Letchworth mum was left “completely shocked” when a storage heater in her home fell and “could have crushed” her 16-month-old son.

Rojan was left bumped and bruised when the heavy storage heater came off the wall and landed on him. Picture: Helen CrookRojan was left bumped and bruised when the heavy storage heater came off the wall and landed on him. Picture: Helen Crook

Helen Crook’s toddler Rojan had to have a full body check at Lister Hospital in Stevenage after the storage heater fell on top of him.

This was the second incident Rojan had with the heater at their home in Creamery Court – he was badly burnt in February this year after bumping into it.

The mum-of-three now wants to warn other parents about how dangerous they can be.

She told the Comet: “The storage heater just came off its hinges and fell on top of him. I took him to hospital and they checked him out and give him pain killers.

Helen took 16-month-old Rojan to hospital after the accident. Picture: Helen CrookHelen took 16-month-old Rojan to hospital after the accident. Picture: Helen Crook

“He has bruises on his chest and head and has been sick a little bit – it was very lucky my partner was there. He helped me lift the heater off of poor Rojan.

“If I was there on my own without another adult I wouldn’t have been able to lift it by myself, and probably would have dropped it if I tried.

“It looks like it was held up by just two bolts, and is really quite heavy.

“The first time when he got burnt in February he was playing with his sisters and stumbled backwards on to it. I called Home Group Housing Association and they told me it was nothing to do with them and that we need have to put the temperature on low.

The heavy storage heater fell off the wall and landed on 16-month-old Rojan. Picture: Helen CrookThe heavy storage heater fell off the wall and landed on 16-month-old Rojan. Picture: Helen Crook

“It scared me more when the thing fell on him – it could have crushed or killed him.

“What if it happens to somebody else’s child? My eight-year-old daughter was very upset, she just kept saying to him ‘I’m glad you’re alive’.”

Helen and her family are due to move into a house by the end of this month.

She said when she phoned Home Group to tell them about the storage unit coming down, she was told “sorry” and that someone would come to have a look.

Jo Huxtable, head of service delivery at Home Group, said: “Customer safety is a real priority for Home Group.

“We are very sorry that has happened and are in contact with the family in question to offer our sincere apologies.

“The child has recovered from the incident and our health and safety team are investigating.

“Action will be taken based on their findings.”

More news stories

39 minutes ago

The National Hot Rod Association held their 28th show at Old Warden Park last weekend.

Yesterday, 20:05

All lanes have reopened after a multi-vehicle crash on the A1(M) northbound near Stevenage this evening (August 17).

Yesterday, 16:00

The Shuttleworth Collection has made a prominent appearance on a new Channel 4 show.

Yesterday, 15:31

A Letchworth gym has raised more than £700 for Cancer Research UK with a family workout day last weekend.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the The Comet e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

The Comet weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy