Eight Hitchin burglaries in a single day being linked by detectives
PUBLISHED: 15:01 07 March 2018 | UPDATED: 10:55 08 March 2018
There were at least eight burglaries within 12 hours in Hitchin yesterday – and detectives have today appealed for witnesses and information.
Police have boosted patrols after receiving reports of eight home burglaries, which are being linked.
The stolen items include valuable jewellery, wristwatches, power tools and a safe.
The full details of the burglaries are as follows:
• Between 8.15am and 3.15pm, burglars broke into a home in Sturrock Way and ransacked it. Cash, a boxed woman’s Cartier Panther watch, a boxed Cartier man’s watch and a gold pendant were taken. The crime reference for this burglary is G1/18/745.
• Between 12.30pm and 3.10pm, burglars gained access to a home in Nutleigh Grove and ransacked it. Six wristwatches – two Hugo Boss, one Tag watch, an Armani watch and two others – a gold necklace, four gold rings, two traditional Indian-style necklaces, a diamond bracelet, a plain gold bracelet and a diamond necklace were stolen. The crime reference for this burglary is G1/18/753.
• Between 12.30pm and 8pm, burglars broke into a home in Moss Way and ransacked it. Jewellery was stolen from inside. The crime reference for this burglary is G1/18/754.
• Between 1.30pm and 1.55pm, burglars broke into a home in Wymondley Road and ransacked it. Jewellery was stolen. The crime reference for this burglary is G1/18/737.
• Between 2.30pm and 5.45pm, burglars broke into a a home in Ivatt Court and ransacked it. Eight pairs of earrings, three gold chains and a bracelet were stolen. The crime reference for this burglary is G1/18/751.
• Between 4.30pm and 8.25pm, burglars broke into a a home in Wellingham Avenue and ransacked it. They stole a safe from inside the house and power tools from the garage. The crime reference for this burglary is G1/18/749.
• Between 5.10pm and 6.30pm, burglars broke into a a home in Ivatt Court and ransacked it. A bracelet and diamond pendant necklace were taken. The crime reference for this burglary is G1/18/750.
• At around 7.10pm, burglars tried to break into a property in Brook View, but were disturbed by the resident and fled. The crime reference for this burglary is G1/18/752.
Det Sgt Will Ainsworth from the North Herts Local Crime Unit said: “I’m appealing for anyone who saw anything suspicious or out of the ordinary in these areas around the times stated to get in touch as you may have information that could help us to identify the people carrying out these burglaries.
“We’re working hard to identify the offenders and are increasing proactive patrols in the local area while enquiries are ongoing as well as visiting residents in the immediate vicinity.
“I’d also like to take this opportunity to remind residents to review their home security and follow the crime prevention advice offered by the constabulary.”
Anyone with information that could help the police should contact DS Ainsworth on email@example.com, call the non-emergency number 101 quoting the relevant crime number, or report information online at herts.police.uk/report.
Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or crimestoppers-uk.org.
DS Ainsworth issued the following crime prevention advice:
• Ensure doors are double locked at all times. Keep windows closed and locked.
• Consider installing a door bell camera, internal camera and/or monitored burglar alarm.
• Install ‘dusk-to-dawn’ external lighting and use timer switches in your home to control internal lights, radios and a simulated TV.
• Keep keys and valuables secure and out of sight.
• Ensure boundary fences are secure with side gates locked. Keep tools and ladders in a locked shed.
• Join Hertfordshire’s Neighbourhood Watch for alerts and advice at owl.co.uk.
• Visit owlprotect.uk for discounts on security products.